[Wien] total energies of different spin states with LDA+U

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 7 10:06:03 CEST 2005

I would agree that different spin-states can be compared for fixed U.
However, different spin states could (or should) have different
"U" values (maybe they differ only by a few tenth of an eV, but this is enough
to give the "wrong" spin state).

So in my opinion one can use LDA+U to find the lowest configuration, but
there is no guarantee that it is the "correct" solution. We know cases where
it seems to work, but others don't.