[Wien] Intel EMT64 OT

Gerhard H Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Sep 7 14:16:32 CEST 2005

This is nothing surprising if you have a CPU with Hyperthreading (HT), but may
strongly depent on the size of memory you need and have.
Roughly speaking, the HT works in some cases like 2 CPUs as it may deal with
two processes in parallel. If you check what your CPU is doing, you will find
that it is not very busy during writes to the hard disc, so that a second
calculation may use the CPU during such dead time. However, it works only
faster, if the second process does not need data from the hard disc but can
take it from the memory.
We are using multi-CPU Kernels on our computers with single HT-CPUs and have
rather good experience if running two, not too big, Wien calculations at the
same time. However, if you understimate the size of memory that a calculation
needs, the computer may become very slow because it is finally only swapping
data between memory and hard disc, so be careful.
You may also gain speed if you use the optimum (this you have to check for
your system and may not be maximal otimization) compiler switches when
compiling Wien.
Indeed, very old P4 did not come with HT, and/or (at least for Suse systems)
the Linux setup may have choosen already a multi processor Kernel in case of
your newer computer.

Stefaan, you are right, that is just the same effect as reported before.

Good luck,
Ciao
Gerhard