[WIEN]Why Fermi Energy is positive

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Apr 17 08:06:26 CEST 2006

Your guesses are perfectly ok.

Remember, a "bandstructure" approach deals with an infinite solid. Even at
"infinity" there are atoms,....
Thus one cannot use the approach of molecular codes, which put the zero of
energy at infinity.

Our energy zero is set quite arbitrarely such, that the average coulomb
potential in the interstitial region is zero. For this reason we have
positive EF, and the larger the interstital is (eg. for surface-slabs with
large vaccum) the "more negative" EF can go.

Anyway, the absolute energies of EF or eigenvalues have no meaning!