[Wien] atomic form factor calculation

HW Sheng hwsheng at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 26 14:14:55 CEST 2006

Dr. Marks,

Thanks for the paper. I have read it and it's an excellent paper.

I understand that the chemical bonding introduces changes to the atomic
factor(s), due to charge redistribution and orbital hybridization. It's not
surprising that dstart generates the same atomic factor as the tabulated
values, since dstart basically superposes the charge densities of all atoms,
without relaxing to their electronical ground states.

My problem still remains: how can I generate the atomic form factor of
individual atoms in the unit cell? In my simulation of the X-ray structure
factor (e.g. of a liquid), I need not only <f>^2, but also <f^2>. It's the
latter that I found difficult to get.

I come by a solution, but am not sure if it will work. One may do the Bader
analysis first, and the charge density can be divided into regions of
different atoms. The subsequent Fourier transform of the charge density (of
different atoms) then gives the atomic form factors. How do you think? Are
there other simpler workarounds?

Thank you,

Howard