[Wien] Which time is relevant in the benchmark list ?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 8 08:34:23 CEST 2006

"Previously", there was little difference between "cpu" and "wall"-times
(with the wall time a bit longer due to system overheads), but with the
modern dual core cpus, the "cpu-time is no longer so much relevant, but
the walltime is what really counts.

So in essence:
The timing on single cpus is the cpu-time (but the wall clock should not
be larger than 1 sec on well installed and empty systems);
on parallel machines it is the wall-time.

PS: In any case, if the timing routines are ok, the result of the unix
"time" command and the timing in output1 should be quite similar).

 ( > > Hello,