[Wien] The TELNES errors in calculation Hf O23 edge indefective HfO2 supercell structure

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Wed Aug 9 08:43:32 CEST 2006

Hello Mino,

while contemplating the possible benefits and risks of an error massage, I looked at your case.  There are several things to say :

* The case.elnes file in your tar-file contains a spectrum, but one that was written before the current calculation (i.e., it corresponds to a different case.innes file, and is not part of the calculation that crashed).  Can you confirm this?
* On my machine, your calculation finishes without errors or crashes.  ( I had to add a few lines to the input file to substitute for the missing case.qtl which you didn't send (they get a lot smaller when gzipped), but it's really the same thing.)  So, it seems the problem may be compiler related.
* The edge you are calculating is a transition from the 5p state.  This is NOT considered a core state by WIEN2k (it's at -50 eV or so), and while telnes2 seems to be able to do the calculation, you should check carefully that there are no orthogonality issues, as this isn't really what the program was meant to do (perhaps I will make the code give a warning for cases like this).
* Your crash occurs right at the end of the program, where an input file for the broadening program is prepared.  This is unfortunate - telnes2 has calculated the spectrum, but it crashes right before writing it to file ...

So, where do we take it from here?  I know exactly where your case crashes, but I cannot reproduce the crash, and I don't see why there should be a crash (it happens in a fairly trivial part of the code).
* If you have another fortran 90 compiler, could you give the other compiler a try?  Or try the current one with different settings (eg., -O0)?  You don't have to recompile all of wien2k, only the telnes2 program.
* If that's not possible, can you tell me which compiler and platform you use?  Or let me access your machine?  (If sending a login, reply to me only - not to the whole mailing list.)
* In the first e-mail, you mention that the O K edge also crashes sometimes.  Can you send me an example of that calculation?

Best regards,

Kevin Jorissen

Kevin Jorissen
University of Washington