[Wien] Unit of :ORBxx

Chiung-Yuan Lin cylinwn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 23:55:58 CET 2006

I also think this is the case. As a little test, I try to calculate :ORB
of a free Fe atom by constructing a fcc Fe with a lattice constant of 8A
(3 times the real fcc Fe bulk). I turn on the orbital potential first, and then
add spin-orbit. Both OP and SO have their M's pointing in (0 0 1). Then
I get :ORB to be 0.2. How do I relate this number to the fact that a free Fe
atom has L=2? I thought I would have obtained :ORB very close to 2, though.

Thanks,
Chiung-Yuan