[Wien] hybridiztion

Pavel Novak novakp at fzu.cz
Thu Dec 28 07:53:09 CET 2006

Dear Yongbin,

you can influence the hybridization by changing relative positions of
3d(Fe) and 5d(Gd) bands. If they will be well separated, hybridization
will be small, if their centers coincide, hybridization will be maximal.
To proceed, look first in the DOS projected on 3d(Fe) and 5d(Gd) states
and decide how you would like to shift them. Then use the command
runsp_lapw -orbc
that adds constant orbital potential acting on selected states of selected
atoms. First you have to construct by hand the orbital potential files
gdfe2.vorbup, gdfe2.vorbdn
these will have nonzero diagonal elements equal to the shift and zero
nondiagonal elements. Attached you can find an example of .vorbup for a
compound with two types of atoms, constant potential -0.2 H is added for
d-states of the 1st atom and +0.2 H for d-states of 2nd atom.

Regards
Pavel Novak
Dr. Pavel Novak
Department of Magnetism and Superconductivity
Institute of Physics AS CR
Cukrovarnicka 10, 162 53 Praha 6, Czech Republic
tel: +420 2 20 318 532
e-mail: novakp at fzu.cz