[Wien] core electrons leaking out of MT-sphere

Lyudmila Dobysheva lyu at otf.pti.udm.ru
Sun Feb 19 14:37:36 CET 2006

Dear Christine,

>     I believe the problem with the struct file comes from the fact I didn't
> notice that the site occupancy of O2 (6h) and B(6h) atom was 1/3 whereas it
> is of 1 for Y(2b) and O1 (4f).

Yes, now it looks reasonable.

> Distances from find-it :             Distances from initialization :
> B   1 +3 | B   1 +3 | 1.035           1.03502

I am sure that these distances are fictitious: they are some distances between
planes of the X-ray diffraction or something like this. All sites in the
planes can be occupied by B atoms and the smallest distance between these
sites is 1.035, but in reality there never exist such B-B pairs.

> How can I introduce a site occupancy into the w2web interface ?

I think that there should be one B atom in every small triangle, there are two
triangles in the cell. So, make different configurations of B location (two,
from a first glance). Then remove the extra oxygen atoms, this will add the
possible configurations, though I'd try to find and make these B3O9
structures, those are large triangles. All this procedure will certainly
change real symmetry of the cell, you'll receive another structure where
maybe two positions of yttrium appear. If you really need to simulate the
disorder mentioned make a supercell and calculate again different
configurations of B atoms. I wouldn't waste time on the closest positions
1.035 of B atoms.

 Best wishes
  Lyudmila Dobysheva
Phys.-Techn. Institute of       | Tel.(home):   7 (3412) 442118
Ural Br. of Russian Ac. of Sci. | Tel.(office): 7 (3412) 218988
426001 Izhevsk, ul.Kirova 132   | Fax:          7 (3412) 250614
RUSSIA                          | E-mail: lyu at otf.fti.udmurtia.su