[Wien] Re: Partial Occupancy problem

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jan 5 10:40:30 CET 2006

I've not checked your struct files in detail, but the procedure leading to
Pn1.struct seems perfectly all right.

Experimentally this seems to be a random alloy between Fe and Ni in this
second site. Only in the "model of random (partial) occupation" this has
cubic symmetry. (This is NOT the truth either, because of course in nature
at one particular point in space there can be only Fe OR Ni and not half
of them). It is just saying that there is NO long range order but
(complete ?) deisorder.

Whithin a "bandstructure" model you must put specific atoms on specific
sites and this MUST break symmetry leading to lower symmetry. Thus your
Pn1.struct file is most likely ok.

A "shift" of positions is not a problem (one can in principle always shift
the origin of the unitcell - these are just conventions). Just check
within nn if the distances remain the same (or with xcrysden if your
structure looks the same (with shifted origin).

Of course your model is now ONE ordered "superstructure" and certain
properties may depend on how one introduces the long range order
(necessary in WIEN2k). You could select different sites as Ni (leading to
a different spacegroup !), or you
could create a "supercell" with more atoms and introduce some more
randomness. (For S-XANES spectra I'd NOT expect too much influence, but I
might be wrong)

Regards