[Wien] Supercells and molecules

John Appleton banger_deep at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 05:41:50 CET 2006

Dear all,
  the WIEN2k supercell method is still not obvious to me. StructGen gives
  all these options for lattice structures (P, F, H, e.t.c). How does one build a
   supercell starting from StructGen. The FAQ is not explicit on that, and I think a
  step-by-step example for supercell calculations would help those of us who
  are beginners and doing independent calculations.

  I posted a mail with regards to computing the total energy of
  isolated CO2 molecule. Someone suggested the supercell method.
  The truth is that I simply don't get how to build a supercell.
  The answer to the supercell FAQ does not elucidate on how to build supercells.
  So, I tried the FCC lattice method to computing Cohesive energies of
  atoms outlined in the FAQ ( note that I used the P option for the
  lattice instead of F because of warnings in "x sgroup").

  A couple of other Questions concerning RMT and bond lengths:

  (1) Should I position O and C such the distance is close to
       the experimental C=O bondlength?

  (2) If I decide to implement point (1) above then I'm forced to choose the RMTs
       such that

      RMT(C) + RMT(O)  less than or equal to C-O bond-length
  otherwise I get an error in the nn list.

  (3) These choices of RMT in point (2) are small so I have to decrease RKMAX and increase GMAX. Otherwise I get all manner of warning (especially RKMAX
  reduced because of NNTMAX).  What is an appropriate RKMAX and GMAX in
   such a situation?

   Can anyone suggest a nice, simple and smooth way to compute the energy
  of the isolated molecules.

  Thanks!

  J. Appleton