[Wien] Degree of bond ionicity

Antoine Villesuzanne ville at icmcb-bordeaux.cnrs.fr
Wed Jul 5 09:46:32 CEST 2006

Although not uniquely defined, the degree of ionicity can be inferred from
several quantities extracted from Wien2k calculations :
- Projected density of states (Al contribution to N-character bands, for
example, should be the smallest for a very ionic bonding)
- Atomic net charge : poorly reliable when extracted from integration in
atomic spheres. Much more reliable when extracted from AIM theory (aim
program in Wien2k), in which the full electron density is unambiguously
divided in atomic "basins". However, keep in mind that ionicity or partial
charges are not observables, and any "degree of ionicity" is slave to a
model, even in AIM theory.

The Electron Localization Function (not implemented in Wien2k) would
indicate the departure from covalent bonding in series of compounds.

Antoine Villesuzanne
ICMCB-CNRS
87, Av. Dr. A. Schweitzer
33608 Pessac Cedex