[Wien] Running Time

Lars Lykke lykke at chem.au.dk
Thu Jul 6 11:58:27 CEST 2006

Dear Prof.  Bagher Ahmadi

> I have a simple question, when you run a command (i.e. dstart) after that it
> appears:
>  "Fortran Stop
>  14.534u  0.020s  0:14.60  99.6% 0+0k   0+0io  11pf+0W"

I believe this is the output you get when you use the 'time' command under
GNU/Linux (try to lookup the man page for the 'time' command).

The default output format for timing a command under unix is:

%Uuser %Ssystem %Eelapsed %PCPU (%Xtext+%Ddata %Mmax)k
          %Iinputs+%Ooutputs (%Fmajor+%Rminor)pagefaults %Wswaps

So in your case that would correspond to (snipped from the man page of 'time')

14.534 s in user mode
0.020 s in kernel mode
0:14.6 s in real time
99.6% of the CPU allocated to this proces

The next things are I/O or Memory related:

%X is the Average size of the process's shared text space

%D is the Average size of the process's unshared data area

%M is the Maximum resident set size of the process during its lifetime

%I is the Number of file system inputs by the process.

%O is the Number of file system outputs by the process.

%F is the Number  of major page faults that occurred while the process was
running.  These are faults where the page has to be read in from disk.

%R is the Number  of minor, or recoverable, page faults.  These are faults for
pages that are not valid but which have not yet been claimed by  other virtual
pages. Thus  the data in the page is still valid but the system tables must be
updated.

%W  is the Number of times the process was swapped out of main memory

Hope that helps

Best regards
Lars Lykke