[Wien] Choosing linearisation energies for an insulator

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jul 10 19:46:49 CEST 2006

The choice depends a littel what you want. For scf only the occupied part
is important, for spectra,.. you may also want accurate energies for the
conduction bands.
Probably the best method is to add an extra d-LO at a high energy. This
allows for the best description in a wide energy range.

ii) I'd say: the energy can be always accepted for a low lying state
("semicore"), because for such states the selection mechanism
(E-top/E-bottom) always works pretty well.
For high lying states we have some "arbitrary" upper limit, because
valence states could have an extremely broad E-top/E-bottom and simply
taking the mean value is not usefull for this case.