[Wien] about ENE

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Tue Jun 6 09:57:34 CEST 2006

> Would you please tell me if we increase the lattice parameter the
> total energy will be zero.I mean that it will be a free particle.

If you increase the lattice parameter to infinity, you will obtain the
total energy of free atoms -- which is not zero at all (it is equal to
the energy needed to bring all electrons of that atom to infinite
distances of each other and of the nucleus, clearly you will need a
nonzero energy to achieve that). The difference between this free atom
energy and the energy of the ground state (solid) is the cohesive energy.

Stefaan