[Wien] total energy of indevudual atom for cohesion energy

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jun 17 21:00:04 CEST 2006

In order to calculate transition metal atoms you must

a) use a spin-polarized calculation
b) use TEMP or GAUSS with a fairly large broadening
   (As you can easily check eg. for Fe using lstart and different
case.inst files, the Fe atom CANNOT be calculated properly within DFT.
This means: when you put 2 e into the 4s levels, their energy raises above
the 3d levels. Thus in the next iteration one should move one 4s electron
into the the 3d levels. If one does, the potential changes and the 4s
level comes down again, thus should be doubly occupied. This scenario
continues to infinity and that's what happens in your calculation.

A small mixing is necessary, but NOT sufficient in these cases, since the
valence density will always change by ONE electron (and fractional
occupation is not possible with TETRA and one k-point).

Using the broadening means that both, the 3d AND the 4s levels can be
partly occupied and thus a stable situation can eventually be reached
(again from atomic tests we know that for Fe around 4s1.6 (or similar) the
3d and 4s levels are equal).