[Wien] A general question on LDA+U

Thomas Claesson tcl at kth.se
Wed Jun 28 14:20:18 CEST 2006

Dear Wien users and developers!

Inspired by a previous question I came up with this general question on
LDA+U calculations. When working with an LDA+U case with a large U, say 8
or 9 eV, what is the best approach to reach a converged state? Either you
can start from
(1) a calculation whis has converged without the LDSA+U orbital potential,
then slowly turning up U until the desired value is reached, or
(2) a just initialzed (not converged) case with the starting density as
provide by lstart and the (large) desired U-value applied from the
beginning.

Could these two approaches lead to different converged states? Is it
possible to say which of these two approaches is the most reasonable one?

Thanks for your replies!

Best regards,
Thomas Claesson