[Wien] inst file editing

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Fri Mar 31 11:21:52 CEST 2006

> In the case.inst file (for eg in TiC example) what do the numbers
> following Ne  3  5 mean?
> If I edit this file to take Si down to the He core then what would be
> the numbers following He?
> Can I generate such a core (deeper down than normal) using instgen?

At least the '5' is redundant (specified the XC-functional for the free
atom calculation in lstart). According to the UG, also the '3' seems to
be redundant now (twice this number is the total number of following
lines).

To the authors: to avoid confusion in the future, couldn't instgen be
modified such that '3 5' etc. are not printed any more? (provided that
the '3' is indeed redundant, but I see lstart does not complain and
works correctly if it is missing). Similarly, the '6' could then be
omitted in the example case.inst at page 72 of the UG.

About generating a case.inst with more explicit states mentioned: see
below (you could get inspiration by applying instgen to Carbon). Why
exactly do you need this? If you want to consider more previous core
states as valence states, then you can just put another energy for
lstart -- no need to modify case.inst. Note as well that case.inst and
case.inc must be compatible: what you list extra in case.inst must be
removed in the other.

Stefaan

case.inst:

Si
He
2,-1,1.0  N
2,-1,1.0  N
2, 1,1.0  N
2, 1,1.0  N
2,-2,2.0  N
2,-2,2.0  N
3,-1,1.0  N
3,-1,1.0  N
3, 1,1.0  N
3, 1,0.0  N
3,-2,1.0  N
3,-2,0.0  N
****
****         END of input (instgen_lapw)

case.inc:

 1 0.00     NUMBER OF ORBITALS (EXCLUDING SPIN), SHIFT
1,-1,2               ( N,KAPPA,OCCUP)
0