[Wien] Why Fermi energy is in the middle of the band gap?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed May 3 17:35:31 CEST 2006

For some older WIEN version it could happen, that due to numerical
rounding EF is  a) at the bottom of the conduction bands
b) a little larger than the top of the valence band (a few mRy).
This should not occur with the latest version.

I've never seen EF "in the middle of the gap".

For the bandstructure you have to put EF by hand into case.insp.
Maybe you inserted the wrong EF or the potential (clmsum) was from another
calculation,... or some similar error.

For the DOS you could set E-Fermi correctly in case.qtl, and you should get
EF from the "bandlimits" in case.scf (unless your DOS calculation uses
a different potential than the scf run.)