[WIEN]a question on lapw0

Jiang Jun czjiangjun at hpsv.pku.edu.cn
Tue May 9 10:40:01 CEST 2006

Dear Professor Blaha:
   I still have a problem on the choice of the zero-point of the potential
when I wonder the coherent energy of a crystal.Because we all know an
electron energy in atom is definded as the negative value of the energy
needed of moving it to infinity from the atom.While in WIEN2K,the total
energy of a crystal is calculated with potential zero-point defined as the
average of the potential in the interstitial region.I could understand that
the choice of potential zero-point is arbitrary and no physical meaning and
also keep it in mind that the total-Energy does NOT depend on this choice.

   As far as I could understand I believe that there MUST BE a constant
added to both sides of the Schrodinger Equation so that it could give the
correct total-energy and generally speak,this constant is not the same one
from differnent system.My question is how to determin this constant in source
procedure of Lapw0 and whether it is possible to detect it from the output-
files such as case.output0 and/or case.scf0?(I have confirmed that :VZERO
just only meaningful for slab but not for crystal itself)

   In my opinion this is an important and elementary question.Maybe my
consider is not correct,please pointit out and I really want to grasp the
spirit of WIEN2k more completely.Expect your patient and kind reply eagerly!

   Best Regards!
                                                        your sincerly Jun
----
    Welcome to Rarelab in PKU (http://hpsv.pku.edu.cn)