[Wien] What type of CPU's for big calculations?

shaposh@isp.nsc.ru shaposh at isp.nsc.ru
Sat Nov 11 10:15:32 CET 2006

Sorry for interfereing, what do you mean by "real" and "pseudo"
64bit processors?
Both AMD64 and Intel EM64T able to  directly access memory over 4GB. They also
have 64-bit general purpose registers (not to mention 128-bit SSE registers).
They are "real" 64bit processors.
Intel ICC for C/C++ and IFORT for fortran90 compilers can produce native and
very efficient 64bit code for Intel EM64T CPUs. They also very good for AMD
(better than gcc and on par with expensive PathScale).

Best Regards,
A. Shaposhnikov