[Wien] optimising volume for hematite

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Tue Nov 21 09:20:36 CET 2006

>I tried to change inst to trannfer one elctron from Fe to O but dstart does
>not work.

I would not do that. The 'chemical' concepts of oxidation states as for
Fe3+ and Fe2+ cannot be translated to real electronic structure
information by just transfering one electron. If you have Fe3+ and Fe2+
in the same compound, you might see a bit more charge in the muffin tin
sphere of Fe2+, but certainly not one full electron. And the extra
charge you have might be a bit different from the charge you will find
at Fe2+ in a different compound.

>Can I do geometry optimisation using LDA+U ?

No. See the 'known limitations and bugs' at
http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/limitations/

Stefaan