[Wien] Compiling Wien under Linux on PowerPC

Dr. Grigori V. Vajenine G.Vajenine at fkf.mpg.de
Mon Oct 16 17:03:33 CEST 2006

A brief report on solving my installation problems just in case somebody
has the same situation:

1. upgrading the system to sles9 and the compilers to xlf 9.1 and xlc
7.0 as well as essl did help.
2. the -q64 option was needed not only for both compilers but also in
the linking options:
xlf90_r -O5 -qstrict -qarch=auto -q64
xlc_r -q64
linking options: -q64 -L../SRC_lib
3. I used the -qstrict option in addition to others in order to avoid
warnings about possible change in semantics due to code optimisation
(could that be a problem?).
4. to the problem of compiling the SRC_aim code (see below): we found
out, that the underscore symbol "_" in the names of the functions in
d1mach.c caused the problem for some reason. After deleting these in all
function names the code compiled normally. I hope this does not affect
the functionality!

Perhaps a silly question of a novice:
does such a compilation use both processors by default (I am planning to
use only one computer) or should I compile it parallel or somehow setup
a parallel calculation?
Preprocessor flags were not altered: '-WF,-DParallel'

Thanks for help in advance!

Grigori Vajenine
MPI-FKF
Stuttgart