[Wien] Benchmark on opteron - test on a fully loaded computer

Florent Boucher Florent.Boucher at cnrs-imn.fr
Sun Oct 22 22:04:44 CEST 2006

Dear Peter,
I am very happy to have your experience concerning Intel and AMD
processor. We are planning to buy a new cluster for the beginning of
2007 and some of my colleague would like to be able to run a SMP code on
a 8 cores system. Do you know if this new intel architecture (Conroe) is
(or will be) supported on motherboard with 4 chips (8 cores) ?
I could not find at the moment systems with a mother board that support
more than one Core 2 Extreme processor. Am I right or it is not yet
supported ?
May be a stupid question but are the new intel Xeon Dual core expected
to have performance similar to the actual Conroe ?

If somebody in the Wien list have already somewhere the results of  some
WIEN (and if possible VASP :-! )  benchmarks on 4chips (8 cores) new
AMD  and new Intel processors, I will be very happy to have it and to
have also his (her) experience.
We are also very interested in the power consumption, so comments are
welcome.
Regards

Florent

| Florent BOUCHER                    |                                    |
| Institut des Matériaux Jean Rouxel | Mailto:Florent.Boucher at cnrs-imn.fr |
| 2, rue de la Houssinière           | Phone: (33) 2 40 37 39 24          |
| BP 32229                           | Fax:   (33) 2 40 37 39 95          |
| 44322 NANTES CEDEX 3 (FRANCE)      | http://www.cnrs-imn.fr             |