[Wien] Improving vacuum basis set

georg@chem.au.dk georg at chem.au.dk
Mon Oct 23 16:18:29 CEST 2006

Do you mean an atom some distance from (weakly bonded to) the surface?

One thing is that WIEN sets the linearization energy to 0.30 because the
fermienergy is "usually" around 0.5 Ry in densely packed solids, so 0.3Ry can
be expected to be somewhere in the valence bands.

If you have an atom the upper most state will have a negative energy so often
the lineraization energy needs to be changed. As the bands are flat sometimes
the energies have to be set very precisely. Maybe the -in1new option can help
you.

 Best wishes Georg