[Wien] Improving vacuum basis set

georg@chem.au.dk georg at chem.au.dk
Tue Oct 24 09:28:27 CEST 2006

In principle a planwave basis set should be complete.  I doen't have much
experience with surfaces so I can only give some untried suggestions

1) your GMAX (from in2) is to small? I guess a too low GMAX could give some
artifact in the density (and especially in the xc potential)

2) Your supercell is to small. It's a bit fishy that your artifact's at z=.5

3) An artifact of the functional. GGAs are not really perfect for the tail of
the wave function.
I must admit I don't believe this possibility myself. I guess it would have been
found before. I guess you have also tried different xc functionals (I remember
a question about B88). I've seen that the vanLeuwen GGA, which was constructed
to have a 1/r potential, is in LAPW0. Maybe this could be interesting for you
(I tried it once. It didn't work "out of the box" and I was to lazy to look
into it)

 Best wishes
   Georg