[Wien] kram NaN output

Roberto Iglesias roberto.iglesias at psi.ch
Fri Oct 27 09:41:30 CEST 2006

Dear Torsten

Thanks a lot for your advice! I set emax to 4.0 in case.inop and left emin as -5.0. I left in case.injoint the
default Emin, dE, Emax, which were 0.000, 0.0001 and 1.000, respectively. With that, I had no more NaN's in my
optics files, which is great!

However, if I change this Emin and Emax in case.injoint to the values I had in case.inop, that is, -5.0 and
4.0, respectively, the NaN's reappear again. The explanation about the energy window that should be used in
case.injoint is absent in the UG and I don't really know how to set those values properly. would anybody be
willing to give some further advice on this subject?

Thanks in advance!

Roberto

Torsten Andersen wrote:
> Dear Roberto,
>
> Since emax determines the highest band energy, you should probably
> repeat the optics with a reduced upper cutoff value.
>
> Best regards,
> Torsten.
>

> Iglesias Roberto wrote:
>> Dear Torsten
>>
>> Thank you very much for your answer. No, in fact emin was set to -9.0 and emax to 4.0 in both case.in2c and case.inso files. Should I repeat the optics calculation with exactly the same energy ranges?
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Roberto

>> Asunto: Re: [Wien] kram NaN output
>>

>> Dear Roberto,
>>
>> is your energy range in case.in1(c) and case.inso consistent with the
>> range below, i.e., is there a max energy of 7 Ry?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Torsten Andersen.
>>
>> Roberto Iglesias wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all!
>>>
>>> I posted this problem related to the use the OPTICS package some time ago now. Since then, I've been trying to
>>> run a different spin polarized case, namely, fcc Ni. This is the sequence:
>>>
>>> This is the sequence I followed:
>>>
>>> 1) runsp_lapw -so
>>>
>>> 2) x kgen (with 11000 k points, then 834 k points in the IBZW)
>>>
>>> 3) edit case.in2c, changing TOT to FERMI and writing 101.0 instead of 0.000 in TETRA
>>>
>>> 4) runsp_lapw -so -s lapw1 -e lcore
>>>
>>> 5) Modify case.inop:
>>> -------------------------case.inop-----------------------
>>> 834 1        number of k-points, first k-point
>>> -5.0 7.0      Emin, Emax for matrix elements
>>> 3             number of choices (columns in *symmat)
>>> 1             Re xx
>>> 3             Re zz
>>> 7             Im xy
>>> OFF
>>>
>>> 6) x opticc -so -up
>>>
>>> The resulting case.symmatup file has about 27 MB.
>>>
>>> 7) Modify case.injoint
>>> 1   30                  : LOWER,UPPER,upper-valence BANDINDEX
>>> -5.0000 0.00100 5.0000  : EMIN DE EMAX FOR ENERGYGRID IN ryd
>>> eV                      : output units eV / ryd
>>> 4                       : SWITCH
>>> 3                       : NUMBER OF COLUMNS