[Wien] Properties of corresponding atoms in afm calculations

Ulrich Keßler ukessler at uni-bonn.de
Mon Sep 11 14:38:22 CEST 2006

Dear Prof. Blaha,

thank you for your answer.

I think I did not describe my problem well enough.

runafm seems not to be the problem. After an afm-cycle runsp does not
change anything significantly.

My problem is that the forces of the corresponding atoms are not the
same. During a minimization cycle this leads to different shifts of the
corresponding atoms so that they are not any longer symmetry equivalent
in the ferromagnetic supergroup. At the moment I stop the miminization
after some cycles and edit the new struct file so that corresponding
atoms possess equivalent sites. In my opinion the equivalent atoms in
the supercell should have the same forces and should be shifted by the
same amount.

This is what I did:
I constructed the afm supercell in P1121/c (SG 14) containing 12
independent atoms from the ferromagnetic structure in the supergroup
B112/b (SG 15, 6 independent atoms). Since this is a klassegleiche
subgroup the unit cell dimensions did not change. Every two atoms of
the afm structure in P21/c correspond and possess positions which are
equivalent in C2/c. During afminput I had to give the symmetry relation
between these corresponding atoms (simply 0.5, 0, 0.5 since the B
centering vanishes). After that runafm worked without problems except
for the different forces of the corresponding atoms (I did not check
other atom dependent properties).

Is this something to live with (some kind of rounding error) or
something more serious? And does an afm calculatiom make sense when the
corresponding atoms are not mapped onto each other exactly by
case.inclmcopy?

If you need more information (struct-files etc.) please let me know.

Thank you for your help,
Ulrich Keßler