[Wien] A few basic questions about LAPWSO

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Wed Sep 13 09:26:53 CEST 2006

> We have confusions. I know it is necessary to use a large Emax. The one I
> use is 4.0. The e-parameter I am asking is the trial energy El for RLO. Is
> there a general rule to make estimation of this (like global e-parameter
> in case.in1, 0.2 Ry around Fermi)? Does it have any relationship with the
> exceptional E(l) with same l in case.in1?

Confusions, indeed! Also regarding the mail by Pavel, let's do it
systematically:

* in case.inso, nothing should be touched except the direction of the
moment (not relevant for you), the RLO (that's what you ask) and
possibly atoms that you want to treat without SO.

* the basis set for the second variational step is set by Emax in case.in1

* your compound is LiFePO4. For such light atoms, there is no need to
add a RLO. Simply put the number of RLO's to 0, and delete the
subsequent line that asks for El.

* if for another case you want to use RLO's, then read the following
paper for mor explanations and an example:

Electrionic structure of fcc Th - spin orbit calculations with 6p1/2
local orbital extension, J.Kunes, P.Novak, R.Schmid, P.Blaha and
K.Schwarz, Phys.Rev. B 64, 153102 (2001)

Stefaan