[Wien] A question about Al-L2,3 ELNES edge

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Sep 22 10:05:50 CEST 2006

2 ways to solve this:

Use as large as possible spheres for Al and choose a separation energy
such that Al-2p is in the core. Check the core leakage, which should not
be too large (but maybe a small miss is tolerable)

Perform a "2-window" calculation. This is a bit "tricky" but should be
the optimal solution.
After the "normal init_lapw" do:
cp case.in1 case.in1s   (or in1c -> in1cs)
cp case.in2 case.in2s

Edit these files and put proper EMIN values in case.in1 (so that the Al
2p states are NOT included; this should lead to a message like X
EIGENVALUES below yy) , proper NE values in in2/in2s  (The in2
calculation should calculate all valence states except the Al 2p; the
in2s should only calculate the Al 2p states).

I haven't done this for a long time, but it should still work.

For the XSPEC/TELNES calculations you would have to put the 2p state
into case.inc anyway; or you could also use "optic" to calculate this.