[Wien] A question about the value of energy loss in TELNES.2

Jorissen Kevin kevin.jorissen at ua.ac.be
Mon Apr 9 19:49:59 CEST 2007

Hi Ruijuan,

Wien2k (or any other comparable code) cannot accurately calculate threshold energies.  This is not a problem of numerical accuracy, but simply of formalism (we calculate one electron states, while EELS is a two particle problem).

Say you're doing a K edge, you can find the energy of the 1s orbital w.r.t. the Fermi level in the output of WIEN2k, and add a small amount if the edge in case.elnes doesn't start at 0 but a little higher ; but this will only give you a very rough idea of where the edge is.

If you do a core hole calculation, you will obtain a different (lower) threshold energy.  But it will also be off.
Supposedly, a calculation with a half core hole ("Slater transition state") should give you the correct threshold energy (paper by Paxton a few years ago - can't remember the exact reference now).  But I'm not sure that it actually does in our calculations. (Anyone?)

The number in case.innes is there so that we can calculate the q-vectors for the cross section accurately.  (It doesn't matter if it's off by a small fraction of a few eV.)

I stress that these are not limitations of the TELNES2 and WIEN2k implementation, but simply of the formalism that WIEN2k uses.

On the bright side, energy differences tend to be fairly accurate.  Eg., the L23-splitting came out well in the calculations that I've done ; and I also expect reasonably good chemical shifts.

To summarize : believe energy differences, but not absolute threshold energies calculated by WIEN2k+TELNES2.  Just shift to align with experiment.

Kevin.

Kevin Jorissen
University of Washington
Dept. of Physics