[Wien] difference of min- energy point and zero -force point

naser zare naser_zd2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 10:46:28 CEST 2007

Dear Stefaan,
  Dear Laurence,

  Thank you very much for your useful and extended replies. I was just repeating my pseudo-potential calculations by this code by taking the number of k-points as minimum as possible. Now, by your comments I learn that these two minimization methods would agree (within at most 0.1 mRy/au) only for sufficiently large number of k points.
  Thank you again for clarifying this point.

   Best Regards.
 Nasser Zare Dehnavi

Stefaan Cottenier <Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be> wrote:

> 3)I use RK=7 and mesh 18X18X18 for bulk and 10X10X1 for
> asupercell with 38 atoms and a surface cell(2X2) .I study about
> work function and I use from this parameters because :a)give me good
> value for workfunction and b)for avoid of computational cost
> of large parameters.

Don't take this personally, but these are very bad and even dangerous
arguments. As computational physicists, we MUST NOT take the
parameters that give us good agreement with experiment. We must take
the parameters that give us numerically accurate results within the
framework we work in (e.g. DFT-LDA). If we don't do that, we're just
doing meaningless fitting, not physics. If it turns out you find the
computational cost is too much for the quantity you want to study,
then so be it. Put the problem aside and do something else instead of
doing something meaningless. In your case, this means you must verify
whether going to a larger RKmax or fine k-mesh does not change you
work function to an amount that would be large enough to alter your
physical conclusions. As long as you are not sure about this, there is
no point in proceeding with the rest of your work.

There is a good reason why I spent some time writing this down: a bad
approach to DFT studies affects the entire community. Imagine you come
to some conclusion based on an unjustified small basis set. Perhaps
you'll even make a prediction based on your results. Then an
experimentalist tries to verify your prediction, and find it to be
wrong. Obviously, the conclusion of his or her paper will be: DFT
gives bad predictions. If this happens too often, then DFT gets an
unjustified bad image, and few people will believe DFT predictions in
the future, even if they are made with good basis sets. Our entire
community has a responsibility in keeping up the credibility of DFT:
there are enough places where it doesn't agree with experiment, we
should not create additional ones by being too tolerant on numerical
issues as basis set and k-mesh.

I hope you seriously think about this before continuing!

Now back to your problem:

As you apparently did not test the accuracy of your forces with
respect to k-mesh and basis set, it might be that you are working with
too much numerical noise on the forces, leading mini to an incorrect
result. So test the accuracy of your forces.

This is an interesting issue:

> with attention to this point that min-energy is obtained in
> smaller time by plot total energy versus distance of atom from
> surafce with respect to use of mini..

As the force is the gradient of the total energy surface, this
statement cannot be true. Even if you don't use mini and displace the
atoms yourself, it is worthwhile to calculate the force in the last
iteration and plot not :ENE but the force as a function of
displacement. It will show you much better in which direction and by
which amount you have to displace, requiring less steps to find the
equilibrium than if you use only the energy information. As a check,
of course, you can look at the energies afterwards. If your numerical
precision was OK, the zero of the force and the energy minimum must
agree.

Stefaan

Quoting naser zare :

e-mail: stefaan.cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be