[Wien] spin-up or -down

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.be
Mon Apr 16 14:33:52 CEST 2007

>I am calculating the ferrimagnetic ground stat of spinel ferrite using
>WIEN2k_07.2. According to the user's guide, the initial spin configuration is
>given by case.inst file. I modify the file and it works for the normal spinel
>case. However, if I do the same modification for the inverse spinel, the local
>magnetizations are still aligned ferromagnetically according to the case.scf file.
>

>Any idea about this problem? Or is there any other way to control the spin
>configuration in the input explicitly in the 07 version?

Follow the moments through the scf-cycle. They should have your imposed
orientation in the first iterations, otherwise you did something wrong
at start-up. If they have so, and gradually change to the other
orientation during scf, then either the ferrimagnetic solution is
unstable, or it is a shallow local minim in the energy landscape. In the
first case there is nothing to do against it. In the second case you can
do a fixed spin moment calculation (see usersguide runfsm_lapw) to
converge it close to the local minimum, and then continue with normal runsp.

Stefaan