[Wien] Set up of broadening by Telnes

Jorissen Kevin kevin.jorissen at ua.ac.be
Thu Aug 9 20:41:01 CEST 2007

Hi David,

the case.inb that's written by TELNES2 is a "suggested" broadening input.  You are welcome to edit it and replace its values by whatever you deem more fitting.
It seems (looking at experimental data) that the final state broadening is energy-dependent - the lifetime broadening increases with energy, washing out details at higher energy.  How exactly the broadening depends on energy, is not clear.  The broadening program has a few models that may or may not work well for you, but that some people have found useful.  I believe that C. Hebert provides references in her overview paper.  If not, I can find them for you, if you like.

There is no link to the post-processing of experimental spectra (background subtraction etc.); we are merely trying to capture the energy-dependence of the lifetime of the final states.  (Other parts of the broadening program treat the core hole lifetime and the spectrometer resolution broadening.)

If you find that another model works better, or have useful feedback to give on broadening of ELNES spectra, please don't hesitate to share it.

Kevin.

Kevin Jorissen
University of Washington
Dept. of Physics