[Wien] Wien and batch system

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Aug 30 12:15:27 CEST 2007

Hi,

In my understanding there is no need to change anything in the code. All you
have to write, is a small "script" which is submitted to your batch queuing
system (and proper configuration of the details of the "mpirun" command during
siteconfig (or $WIENROOT/parallel_options") like:

setenv WIEN_MPIRUN "/opt/local/mvapich-0.9.8-intel/bin/mpirun -np _NP_
-hostfile _HOSTS_ _EXEC_"

The "script" needs to write a .machines file on the fly, using the information
  on which hosts it is allowed to run from the queuing system. This info is
usually set in some environment variables and one has access to them. I don't
know how these variables are named in your case, but you may find some examples
on our "faq"-page at www.wien2k.at, and I list also a script which I use on the
loadleveler on our Intel-Xeon-cluster.

Regards
#!/bin/csh -f
# @ job_type = parallel
# @ class = large
# @ input = /dev/null
# @ output = $(Executable).$(Cluster).$(Process).out
# @ error = $(Executable).$(Cluster).$(Process).err
# @ notify_user = pblaha at susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
# @ notification = always
# @ node_usage = not_shared
# @ initialdir = ~/lapw/nanomesh/pt_nanomesh_9x10
# @ tasks_per_node = 2
# @ node = 32
# @ queue

#setenv SCRATCH /scratch
setenv OMP_NUM_THREADS 1
set mpijob=64

limit coredumpsize 0

echo -n 'running in '
pwd
echo nodes for this job: $LOADL_PROCESSOR_LIST

set proclist=`echo $LOADL_PROCESSOR_LIST`
set nproc=$#proclist
echo number of processors: $nproc

# creating a .machines file on the fly
#--------------------------------------------------------------
echo '#' > .machines

# example for an MPI parallel lapw0
echo -n 'lapw0:' >> .machines
set i=1
while ($i <= $nproc )
#echo -n "$LOADL_PROCESSOR_LIST[$i]" >>.machines
echo -n "$proclist[$i] " >>.machines
@ i = $i + 1
end
echo ' ' >>.machines

#example for k-point and mpi parallel lapw1/2
set i=1
while ($i <= $nproc )
echo -n '1:' >>.machines
@ i1 = $i + $mpijob
@ i2 = $i1 - 1
echo $proclist[$i-$i2] >>.machines
set i=$i1
end
echo 'granularity:1' >>.machines
echo 'extrafine:1' >>.machines
echo 'lapw2_vector_split:1 ' >>.machines

min -NI -ex -j "run_lapw -p -I -i 99 -fc 3 -r 60 -it0 "