[Wien] lapw1.def fail -- invalid pointer

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Sat Dec 1 14:57:09 CET 2007

I've seen this with various code (not always Wien) and it is difficult
to track. Some possibilities are inconsistencies between
libraries/kernel and compiled versions, and/or virtual memory
problems.  There is no reason this a clear indicator of hardware
failure, although if you have that anything is possible!

My suggestion: don't do anything unless you have to unless you can
make it reproducible.

On Dec 1, 2007 1:56 AM, Gerhard Fecher <fecher at uni-mainz.de> wrote:
> I had several times the error lapw1.def failt or uplapw1.def failt
>
> A closer look revealed:
> *** glibc detected *** /home/fecher/Fortran_Work/Wien2k/lapw1c: free(): invalid pointer: 0x00002aaac4605010 ***
>
> Has anyone an idea where this error comes from ?
> It seems also to occur with the test.case, but not in every run.
> Is a hardware failure a possible cause ?
>
> System:
> 2  Xeon 5160, 8GB RAM
> Wien2k 07.3,
> Red Hat 4.1.2-27, Linux version 2.6.23.1-10.fc7 #1 SMP,
> ifort fce 10.1.008
> mkl 10.0.011
>
> Ciao
> Gerhard

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
Web: www.numis.northwestern.edu
Commission on Electron Diffraction of IUCR
www.numis.northwestern.edu/IUCR_CED