[Wien] Difference among XAS, ELNES and EELS

Ashley Harvey ashley.harvey at mat.ethz.ch
Tue Dec 4 15:44:43 CET 2007

Dear BoKang,

Here is my slight & probably incomplete answer (I am not sure how
much you already know):

XAS and EELS give very similar experimental spectra, and are based on
similar physical processes, but not exactly the same.
In XAS, a photon is absorbed by the sample and, in transmission
experiments, the resulting attenuation of the beam is measured while
the photon energy is scanned (~ 0.2 - 40 keV depending on the
beamline).  In EELS in a TEM, the electron beam is held at one energy
(e.g. ~ 300 kV) and as electrons pass through the sample, energy is
lost.    That energy loss is measured in Electron Energy Loss
Spectroscopy (detection of ~ 0 - 2000 eV).
ELNES is a sub-set of EELS - the Energy Loss Near-Edge Structure,
typically the part of the EEL spectrum < 50 eV beyond the edge
onset.  The setup of the TEM can affect the EELS results, which is
why there are adjustable parameters in the w2web TELNES window.
My impression is that in XAS the allowed electronic transitions are
more strictly governed by the dipole selection rules, whereas in
EELS, the rules can be bent a bit more depending on the experiment.
However, I have not found a lot in literature that contrasts these
two techniques - a lot of people just acknowledge that they are
"basically the same."
In the end, I guess your question relates to simulating XAS or EELS
with Wien2k.  I am not sure how the results differ between the two
tasks, myself, but would be interested in the answer.

Hope this helps a little,
Ashley