[Wien] Difference among XAS, ELNES and EELS

Guillaume Radtke guillaume.radtke at univ-cezanne.fr
Tue Dec 4 16:17:05 CET 2007

Hi BoKang,

XAS stands for X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy and EELS for Electron
Energy Loss Spectroscopy. These
two techniques are used to probe the unoccupied electronic states of
condensed matter and are actually
very similar. In the first one, you use X-rays (in the second one,
electrons) to observe electronic transitions
from a core state to the unoccupied states of the solid. These
transitions are observed on the spectra at
specific energies corresponding to the binding energies of the core
electrons and form ionization edges.
The intensity variations observed near the edge onset are called
Energy Loss Near Edge Structures (ELNES)
or X-ray Absorption Near Edge Structures (XANES) and are related to
the site- and symmetry- projected
density of states, that's the reason why it can be efficiently
calculated with band-structure codes
like Wien2k (at least for the K edges 1s -> p PDOS and some L23 edges
2p -> s +d PDOS)

For details on EELS see : R.F. Egerton, EELS in the Electron
Microscope (Plenum, New York, 1986).

Guillaume.