[Wien] Question on EFG and eigenvectors and sugestion for the output

Martin Pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Dec 7 12:49:21 CET 2007

Sorry for seing this somewhat late and not beeing able to stop myself from
probably reintroducing  some confusion :-)

Personally, I am not too fond of the identification of the EFG eigensystem
with the principal axis of an ellipsoid because the length of a principal
axis is a positive number. This picture is convenient at first sight because
(standard) NMR cannot determine the sign of V_zz (Moessbauer can in
principal). But the picture does not describe a traceless tensor and I feel
thats important here.

I think one can see the ambiguity in the choice of directions of the
eigenvectors if one considers the equation defining them:

A*e_i=a_i*e_i

with some (square) matrix A, its eigenvalues a_i, and its eigenvectors e_i.

If e_i satisfies this equation, so does any multiple s*e_i of it, and it does
so with the same eigenvalue a_i.

To be useful as a basis set one wants a normalized set (length 1), which
leaves the options s=+/-- 1 (baring complex numbers).

In addition one might want a right-handed eigenbasis.  Change of sign of all
eigenvectors of a right-handed set gives a right-handed set and everything is
ok. However, inverting just one e_i, or, equivalently, all except one (that
is 2 for the EFG-tensor) results in a left-handed system.

Stefaan is right, there is no stupid question in this field :-) I was unable
to convince myself that the convention |V_z|>=|V_y|>=|V_x| necessary leads to
a right handed system.

If it does, or if one chooses to stay in a left-handed one if this convention
implies it, I see only two possible choices for the orientation of the
eigenbasis. The four choices mentioned by Florence Boucher would then be due
to the ambiguity of the sign of V_zz in NMR - did I get this right?

Best regards,

Martin Pieper

--
Dr. Martin W. Pieper