[Wien] spin polarization of valence states

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Mon Dec 10 09:18:29 CET 2007

The SO interaction will split states according to their total angular momentum into such with
j=|l+s| and j=|l-s|
this does NOT mean that those states are spin polarised.
To have a net spin polarisation of the density of states one needs an unequal occupation of states with different projection quantum number m_s or say better m_j=m_l+m_s.
In paramagnetic materials one has no magnetic exchange interaction.
Without exchange interaction - this is the case in W - all states with the same absolut value of m_j are equally occupied
(for example the |l,j,m_j> state with |2,5/2,5/2> has always the same occupation like the state with |2,5/2,-5/2>)
and therefore one has no spin polarisation anywhere in the BZ of a paramagnetic material.

If the question was related to photoemission then check J. Braun, Rep. Prog. Phys. 59 (1996) 1267–1338 (and references there) to see how it is still
possible to detect spin polarised "photo"electrons through the selection rules.

Ciao
Gerhard