[Wien] Question on EFG and eigenvectors and sugestion for the output

Martin Pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 10 12:32:33 CET 2007

You are, of course, correct on both points!

Am Freitag, 7. Dezember 2007 15:53 schrieb Florent Boucher:
> Dear Martin,
> first my name is Florent, not Florence ;-)

My apologies on this first point :-)

> I am not in agreement with you concerning the choice of the axis.
> I will try to explain my point of view.
>
>  From the calculation, we have the sign of all the Vii eigenvalues. So
> we have the sign of Vzz, Vyy and Vxx
> Once you have the eigenvalues, you calculate the eignvectors and those
> eigenvectors can be either in one direction or in the opposite (as you
> mentioned with the s matrix).
> So, it is all the time possible to define a right-handed choice of axis
> once you have ordered the eigenvalues according to | Vzz| >= |Vyy| >= |Vxx|
> We will call this the set_1 for the eigenvectors and it will give a the
> set_1 of Eulerian Angles with respect to the cartesian axis.
>
> Now you can apply the following rotation matrices that still keep the
> right-handed definition.
>
> R2 = [ 1,0,0; 0,-1,0; 0,0,-1]
> R3 = [-1,0,0; 0, 1,0; 0,0,-1]
> R4 = [-1,0,0; 0,-1,0; 0,0, 1]

True. These are obviously rotations and, thereby, my argument that you switch
from right- to left-handed sets when you change the direction of all except
one basis vector is simply nonsense.

Thanks a lot for catching this

Martin Pieper

--