[Wien] magnetism calculation in Wien2K

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Dec 12 12:36:52 CET 2007

Just another example:
Indeed the problem is that the paramagnetic calculation (including a non-ferromagnetic solution of a spin-polarized calculation)
will give a zero magnetic moment. From suszeptibility measurements you will find the magnetic moment in the paramagnetic state.
Now you may have the problem how to compare that to the electronic structure calculation (just forget a moment about ground or excited state)
For rare earth elements, the FM or AFM solution may be fine, but for others ?

The general problem with the FM or AFM solutions will be that you imply
a very particular symmetry of the spin arrangement that may lead to unrealistic results.
Therefore, spin spirals using the non-collinear spin code might be a better approach to find some reliable solutions.
(there should be some work published by Leonid Savatzky).

The last remark of Stefaan has to be taken very seriously, as it reminds one
that the A in LDA stands for approximation.
There are some nice examples in literature how to find from the total energy that the ground state of Fe is fcc and anti-ferromagnetic
(unfortunately (or luckily) I did not yet succeed with Wien2k, seems it is too good).
On the other side one finds just recently a lot of strange ground states published, and thats much less funny.

Ciao
Gerhard