[Wien] LDA+U for FeO and CoO

Hong Jiang jiang at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Sat Dec 29 17:02:23 CET 2007

Dear Prof. Blaha and Wien2k users,
Recently I did some LDA+U calculations  for transition metal oxides
(MnO, FeO, CoO and NiO) in the AFM-II phase using "runafm_lapw -orb" and
tried to reproduce the results reported in F. Tran et. al. PRB 74,
155108 (2006). For MnO and NiO, I had no difficulty, but for FeO and
CoO, I could not reproduce the reported band gap. Instead it always gave
a metallic ground state.  I noticed that in that paper, for FeO and CoO,
the spin-orbit coupling is taken into account, but in my calculations,
it was not included. I wonder whether that is the reason for my failing
to get a gap for FeO and CoO.  Does anyone have similar experiences
about this?   Thank you very much in advance!

Happy New Year!

   Hong