[Wien] Negative strain energy due to isoelectronic substitution

Oleg Rubel oleg.rubel at Physik.Uni-Marburg.de
Tue Feb 20 09:42:22 CET 2007

Dear Stefaan,

thank you very much for the suggestion. I recalculated GaP taking
Rmt_min*Kmax=7.4 instead of 7.0 [Rmt(P)/Rmt(B)*7.0=7.4]. The new total
energy is Etot(GaP) = -146071.573 Ry, which is less than in case of
Rmt_min*Kmax=7.0, as you expected. Substituting this value in eq. for the
strain energy I obtain Estr = 0.09 Ry. First, it is positive! Second, the
value is close to my expectation (about 0.11 Ry).

Regarding the sigh of the strain energy: I still insist on positive value
of the strain energy. If we could build such an alloy where all bond
lengthes correspond to their equilibrium value for binaries, the total
energy of such a substance would be (1-x)*Etot(GaP) + x*Etot(BP). But in
reality it cannot happen due to the bond stretching. Therefore Etot(GaP:B)
is suspected to be larger than (1-x)*Etot(GaP) + x*Etot(BP).

What about the reference energy, with respect which the total energy is
measured? Am I understand right, it is an average potential? Is it the
same in all cases: GaP:B, GaP, BP? If not, should I take its variation
into account too? Can anyone comment on this issue?

Thank you once again for the valuable suggestions.

Yours,

Oleg Rubel

Dr. Oleg Rubel
Faculty of Physics