[Wien] about AFM calculation

thomas.mazet Thomas.Mazet at lcsm.uhp-nancy.fr
Mon Jan 22 17:47:56 CET 2007

Dear Souraya,

 I think your questions do not help stefaan !

- first, what kind of system is it ?
  metallic 3d or ionic or ...

- in non magnetic calculations there is no magnetic moment !

- if it is a metallic 3d system, you can do NM calculations and try to
perform Stoner analysis (with its limitations) to see if you can expect a
self-polarization of your 3d states and thus a magnetic state

- for AFM calculactions, I only use (but I'm not a Wien 2k expert) FM
calculations and I flip the spins of the two sublattices in case.inst (in
an antiferromagnet you have, at least, two sublattices of equal but opposite
magnetization (magnetic moments) hence a zero total magnetization)

- total energy comparison can help to decide what is the ground state.

I hope it helps.

Thomas