[Wien] structure relaxation requirement for input atom positions

qiangxu q.xu at tnw.tudelft.nl
Tue Jan 30 18:05:41 CET 2007

Dear Laurence Marks:

    Thanks for your answer, and the clear definition of my problem.

    I found out the crash problem I met is perhaps due to that "DFT energies
are far from perfect" as the second reason you mentioned:  I used
pseudopotential method parkage: VASP instead of WIEN2k (in order to save
computing time). The force between two very close atoms( interatomic
distance far less than normal bond-length) might be not calculated
correctly,  because core electrons, which in this case also contribute to
the interaction of the two atoms, are however not well described in
pseudopontential method.

    For the general remarks about local minimum problem you made , I totally
agree. In fact, this is not a problem for DFT only, but a general one to any
refinement, for instance, structure refinement using electron diffraction or
X-rays diffraction.  How to avoid this problem in solving the structure of a
novel compounds (using diffraction methods or DFT calculation) is quite
interesting issue. I have some results and I am now preparing a paper with
my boss (Henny Zandbergen). After it is ready, I wish I can send it to you
and have your kind commends. Thanks in advance

Best wishes
Qiang