[Wien] Coulomb correlation energy

Florent Boucher Florent.Boucher at cnrs-imn.fr
Tue Jul 17 09:41:31 CEST 2007

Dear Igor,
I don't think there is an precise answer to your question, it really
depends on the system your are looking for.
In the past, in a work we did with Pavel Novak, we were looking for O-K
edge in a system Y2BaNiO5 containing Ni-O bonds. The main effect of the
U was on the separation of the occupied and unoccupied d level of the
Ni. As this d level are strongly mixed with the oxygen p level, the
simulated EELS spectra is found strongly affected by the U value. So, in
the present case, this is a way to find an approximately a correct U value.
However, last year I was studying a system LixMnO2 but in that case the
effect of the U on the simulated O-K edge was not clear.
In the former case, we were in fact lucky as the O-p states were also
mixed with the Y and Ba states in the conduction band. This is the
position of the Ni unoccupied d band with respect to the Y and Ba states
that we can check with EELS simulation by changing the U value.
Regards
Florent

| Florent BOUCHER                    |                                    |
| Institut des Matériaux Jean Rouxel | Mailto:Florent.Boucher at cnrs-imn.fr |
| 2, rue de la Houssinière           | Phone: (33) 2 40 37 39 24          |
| BP 32229                           | Fax:   (33) 2 40 37 39 95          |
| 44322 NANTES CEDEX 3 (FRANCE)      | http://www.cnrs-imn.fr             |