[Wien] Whether or not can we predict band gap with scissors operator?

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Thu Jul 19 14:55:58 CEST 2007

Dear Joey Davis,

Your question is curious in some points because it contains a part of
the answer (so it looks like a discussion more than a question).
However, I can try to give you my point of view on this topic. As soon
as we are using an adjustable parameter (scissor operator for the band
gap) no prediction can be done on the quantity we are correcting.
However, by modifying this gap value with a scissor operator, prediction
of related quantity (dielectric function, refractive index ...) can be
done.
So in my point of view, the comparison of DFT+SO (SO: Scissors Operator)
optical data with the experiment is definitely not a proper way to
define the experimental band gap.
The experimental band gap must be determined from experiments only (or
appropriate treatment of the so-obtained data).

Another important point is the difference between the fundamental band
gap and the optical band gap. Depending on the experiments you are
looking you will access to a different band gap (electronic or optical
gap).

If you really wants to do optical band gap prediction, you should look
at method that goes beyond DFT (GW, hybrid approaches, exact exchange,
...). However, I could insist on one last point, in the different
systems I have treated I have observed that usually the scissor operator
we are using is nearly the same (or the same) for a given chemical
formula. Then one possibility is to predict the gap variation more than
the absolute gap value as a function of structure variation. More
generally, DFT alone does not allow to predict the absolute value of the
band gap but relative data can be obtained in some cases.

With my Best Regards

Xavier Rocquefelte