[Wien] Magnetic Moment of Nonmagnetic Atom

Thomas Mazet thomas.mazet at lcsm.uhp-nancy.fr
Fri Jul 20 15:03:13 CEST 2007

Dear All,

 Just to be complete, hoping not to add confusion. In 'real world' C
isolated atom is diamagnetic. That is found when applying the
Russel-Saunders coupling (two Hund's rules + spin orbit coupling).
That's not possible to reach this diamagnetic ground state with a
single-electron approach.

A question : can someone help me to install Wien2k (ifc and mkl too) on
my Ubuntu 6.06 system ?

Thanks

Thomas
> Dear Konstantin,
>
> The electronic configuration of a carbon atom is 1s2 2s2 2p2, meaning
> that the 2p orbital is not fully occupy. By respecting the Hund's
> rule, you should have 2 electrons in spin up configuration in the 2p
> orbital. For this reason, an atomic calculation based on the carbon
> element should lead to a non-zero difference between spin up and down
> density. As a consequence, Wien2k output will give you a magnetic
> moment that only reflects the spin state of the carbon atom. This
> magnetic moment is an atomic moment nothing else. It seems that you
> are making a confusion between atomic magnetic moment and long range
> magnetism. Hope that this answer will be helpful.
>
> Regards
>
> Xavier Rocquefelte
>

> Konstantin Nefedev a écrit :
>> Dear Stefaan,
>>
>> How is possible that for nonmagnetic single isolated atom of Carbon I
>> have
>>
>> MAGNETIC MOMENTS OF MIXED CHARGE DENSITY
>> :/*MMINT: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN INTERSTITIAL =    0.56850
>> /*:*MMI001: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   1    =    0.95199
>> *:*MMTOT: TOTAL MAGNETIC MOMENT IN CELL   =    1.52049
>> *
>> ???
>>
>> >That means the -1.96 Ry is the 2s, and -0.218 is the 2p. >From your
>> >output, it can be seen you did a  non-spin-polarized calculation (which
>> >is wrong!), then both eigenvalues are doubly occupied, and you do have
>> >indeed 2s^2 2p^2, with the 2p eigenvalue equal to the Fermi energy.
>>
>> >The FAQ clearly mentions that free atom calculations should be done
>> >spin-polarized (you will see this will lower the energy compared to
>> your
>> >non-spin-polarized :ENE).
>>
>> >Stefaan
>>
>> I have used for nonmagnetic isolated atom of C the spin polarized
>> calculations (in agreement with your recommendations and  FAQ) ,
>> and of course now I have magnetic moment of the nonmagnetic atom!!!
>>
>> From band structure I can be seen that for spin up and for spin down
>> there is different energy flat levels for 2s and 2p, that is
>> properties of magnetic materials.
>>
>> Could you please say what do you think about this?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Konstantin

Thomas MAZET
Laboratoire de Chimie du Solide Minéral (UMR 7555)
Université Henri Poincaré
BP 239 54506 Vandouevre-lès-Nancy Cedex
FRANCE
Tel. : +33-(0)3-83-68-46-77