[Wien] the unit of optical conductivity sigma!

franco fjona at ms.cc.sunysb.edu
Tue Jul 31 18:59:24 CEST 2007

   The units of conductivity are either  1/(Ohm cm) or 1/s, which
are the same.  You can see this as follows (there may be more
elegant derivations, but this is first that I could think of).
Start by remembering the definitions in terms of units (neglect
numerical values):
  Ohm = Volt / Amp ;  Amp = Coul / s [Coul=Coulomb] ;  Volt Coul = Joule
hence
  Ohm = Volt s / Coul  = Joule s / Coul^2  [Coul^2 = Coul square]
Now what about Coulomb?  Remember that two unit charges q at distance
of 1 m produce the unit force of 1 Newton, hence 1 N = q^2/m^2 or
       q^2 = Coul**2 = N m^2 = kg m^3 /s^2 ,
and that Joule = N m = Kg m^2 / s^2.
It follows that
             Ohm = s / m   (or Ohm = s/cm if you prefer)
and therefore
   Ohm m = s   and  1/(Ohm m) = 1/s
   [or, forgetting numerical constants, 1/(Ohm cm)=1/s].

Franco Jona